2007年5月17日木曜日

--Reasons-- and the simlarities and differences--


The reason why I wanted to search about this topic was because I was actually anorexic for a short period of time during my early teens.
I knew basically nothing about anorexia and caused great damage to my body. And now I wish people would have a healthy diet as much as possible not going the wrong way like I did.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main two eating disorders are ...
ANOREXIA (anorexia nervosa) and BULIMIA (bulimia nervosa).

==So at first, what are the similarities of these two illnesses??==

According to "TeensHealth.org",

The similarities are the following:
-Having a distorted image of his/her body.
-Obsessed with what he/she eats.
-Low self-esteem
-Tend to affect girls more than guys
(10% of the people with this illness are guys)
etc...

The two disorders are difficult to distinguish from each other since they have similar characteristics.

==So next, what are the differences of these two illnesses?? ==

People with anorexia have a great fear of being fat
so they tend to stop eating and exercise crazy.
Anorexic people will try to weigh food
or count the calories of every food they consume.

On the other hand, people who have bulimia do not avoid eating.
Instead they eat a large amount of food and gets rid of it by vomiting the food.

3 件のコメント:

Chiaki さんのコメント...

I have heard that people who suffer from their eating habits have a tendency to repeat bulimia and anorexia. I don't know why, but I think this tendency is related to mental problem. Don't you think so?

One day, I watched the news which reported shoplifting done by young girl. She stole many many puddings. The reason why she had done such a thing was that she wanted to satisfy her appetite by eating them. However, she also said that she was intend to vomit them after eating.

After knowing this news, I realize that the problem of eating disorder is very serious.

I'm interested in this topic, too. So, please tell me more information.

yukichi さんのコメント...

I'm sure I'm never going to suffer from anorexia because I never care about how I look, which is also a problem for me!!!

Anyway,don't you think young girls today care way too much about how they look? Probably they're normal and they look totally fine, but when they look in the mirror, there's something different about her body parts. The reasons you stated is so understandable, and persuasive. Those are the feelings that teenagers may have.

What do you think doctors or counsellors can do to prevent anorexia or cure anorexia. It is a problem of their health and apperance but the initial problem is their mental side, right??
That's the hardest part.

How did you manage to come back to your normal life???

jojobean さんのコメント...

I've heard of three models last year who passed away because of anorexia. I couldn't remember their names, but right after that, Milan issued an rule about girls doing runway shows that they should atleast have a BMI of 18.

I agree that eating disorders are serious issues. I think it's partly because of wanting to be thin, and partly because of mental and emotional problems that's why people suffer from them.

A lot of girls go on extreme diets hoping to look like models on magazines and tv. I guess the media could be blamed (but they shouldn't be blamed solely) for these eating disorders. They brainwash us about the standard of beauty (tall, thin, etc), and we try to imitate those people on magazines. But most of those models are air brushed anyway! We shouldn't just conform to one idea of beauty - we all have different body types, height, hair, etc. and should love ourselves the way we are. Each of us is beautiful/handsome in our own right, and to let the media dictate us on how to look is like letting them control over us. We're NOT barbie dolls or mannequins, we're real people and we're perfect because of our imperfections.